Yes, this is no clickbait. Safaricom has an affordable smartphone device financing plan dubbed Lipa Mdogo Mdogo. This plan allows its customers to purchase smartphones at installments of KES 20 a day.
Safaricom has a partnership with Google and Transion, the company behind TECNO, Infinix and itel, to enable Kenyans access devices under this plan. The smartphones are available at all Safaricom Shops and dealer outlets with a deposit from as low as KES 500.
To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be using a 2G or 3G smartphone
- Not be listed on CRB for pending loans
- You must have been a Safaricom customer for 1 year
Lipa Mdogo mdogo: A Phone for KES 20 a Day
To take part, dial *544# from your device, accept the terms and conditions to opt into the Service.
- You will receive an SMS informing you of your eligibility and the value of the device you can purchase under the Service.
- Select your device of choice and make a down payment of KES 500/= through M-Pesa.
- Go to any Safaricom shop near you where the staff at the shop will conduct a know your customer (KYC) check to verify your identity.
- After which, the sale will be processed, and they will issue the device to you.
- Repayment can be done in the following intervals: daily, weekly, partial or full payment.
Customers who are successful in accessing the service will need to give a down payment of Kshs 500. After, you will have the freedom to pay the balance within 9 months. A new phone comes with 1 GB free data at the point of purchase, and 50MB valid for 24 hours with every installment payment.
You will only be able to pay via M-PESA.
In case of default in payment:
- On the fourth (4th) day after the repayment deadline, Safaricom will lock the device, limiting your use.
- Should you continue to default, on the 7th day, they will bar you from all outgoing calls and SMS.
- Default for 30 days, you will be blacklisted and disqualified for subsequent device loan facilities and your details will be forwarded to the CRB.
Lipa Mdogo Mdogo is delivered in partnership with Android, Google’s operating system.
To get a lipa mdongo mdogo smartphone