— Mishal (@Mishalsaji) January 8, 2021
Well, they heard you!
To further boost its popularity, Telegram now lets departing WhatsApp users move their chat history over to its app. This could be the one feature that’ll tip over WhatsApp users that are still on the fence about quitting the Facebook-owned platform.
Spotted by Android Authority, Telegram introduced the new message history import tool on its iOS app yesterday. It comes bundled with version 7.4 of the app. It now works for both Android and iOS users.
How to export WhatsApp chats to Telegram
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the chat you want to export
- Head into the contact info menu and select “Export chat”
- You’ll now see an option to “Attach Media” or “Without Media”
- Choose your preferred option
- Now choose Telegram from the sharing menu and select the contact you want to assign the imported chat to
- You’ll now see a prompt to import messages. Select “Import”
Note that there is no way of batch importing conversations. You’ll have to move over individual chats from WhatsApp.
To move a chat from WhatsApp on iOS, open the Contact Info or Group Info page in WhatsApp, tap Export Chat, then choose Telegram in the Share menu.
On Android, open a WhatsApp chat, tap ⋮ > More > Export Chat, then choose Telegram in the Share menu