Google’s annual developer conference, Google I/O, took place on May 10th and 11th, 2023. It’s their most popular event and also where they unveil their latest and greatest products. Let’s take a look at what they launched this year and what it means to you.
Gadgets Africa Fun Facts: The name “I/O” is taken from the number googol, with the “I” representing the “1” in googol and the “O” representing the first “0” in the number.
Google I/O 2023: The Biggest Announcements
During the keynote address, Google CEO Sundar Pichai announced a number of new products and features, including:
- Fold: Google finally announced its foldable smartphone, the Pixel Fold. The Pixel Fold has a 7.6-inch OLED display and a 5.8-inch cover display. It’s powered by the Google Tensor chip and has a 12.2MP main camera, a 12MP ultrawide camera, and an 8MP front-facing camera. The Pixel Fold starts at $1,799.
- Pixel 7a: The Pixel 7a has a 6.7-inch OLED display, a Google Tensor chip, and a 12.2MP main camera. It starts at $449.
- The Pixel Tablet: Google also announced the Pixel Tablet, its first tablet in years. The Pixel Tablet has an 11-inch OLED display and is powered by the Google Tensor chip. It’s expected to be released in 2023.
The software products is really where the fun begins.
- Android 14: It has a number of new features, including a new design, improved performance, and new privacy features. Android 14 is expected to be released in Q3 2023.
- Wallet: This is a new digital wallet that will replace Google Pay. It will allow users to store their credit cards, debit cards, loyalty cards, and other payment methods in one place. It’s expected to be released in 2023.
- Maps AR View: A new feature that will allow users to see augmented reality (AR) versions of businesses and landmarks in Google Maps. It is expected to be released in 2023.
- LaMDA 2: A new AI language model that is more powerful and versatile than its predecessor. It can be used for a variety of tasks, including generating text, translating languages, and writing different kinds of creative content.
- AI Test Kitchen: A new platform that will allow developers to experiment with new AI features.
Updates To Come
It wasn’t all super new. Your old apps are getting updates too!
- Search: Multisearch will allow users to search for images and text at the same time.
- Assistant: Conversational AI will allow users to have more natural conversations with the assistant.
- Translate: Live Translate will allow users to translate text in real-time.
- Photos: Magic Eraser will allow users to remove unwanted objects from photos.
- xDocs: Smart Fill will automatically fill in forms and other documents.