Brace yourselves! Netflix is slowly going the YouTube route. Netflix Basic with Ads will launch just six months after the company first announced the option of a lower-priced ads plan. This advertising-supported tier will start rolling out in the US before going to more markets.
Here is all you need to know about this Netflix Basic with Ads.
Netflix Basic with Ads: Less Content, More Adverts, for Cheap
Netflix Basic with Ads is what they are calling the new tier. With its arrival, video quality up to 720p/HD will now be available for both Basic with Ads and ad-free Basic plans.
- It will cost just $6.99 a month in the US and launch on November 3 at 9 am PT.
- Available in 12 countries: Basic with Ads will be available in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK, and the US. (Expected to launch in more countries over time)
- Current plans and members will not be impacted. Basic with Ads complements the existing ad-free Basic, Standard, and Premium plans.
- A few movies and TV shows won’t be available due to licensing restrictions. (Netflix promises they are working on this)
- No ability to download titles for offline viewing.
How the Ads Work
- At launch, ads will be 15 or 30 seconds and will play before and during shows and films. This translates to an average of 4 to 5 minutes of ads per hour.
- Advertisers will also be able to prevent their ads from appearing on content that might contravene their brand (e.g. sex, nudity, or graphic violence).