Wordle. You are either actively skipping anything with this word on social media (especially Twitter), or are actively playing it. It looks like a big block with yellow, green, and gray boxes. Up until the time I was looking it up for this piece, I had no idea what it was.
So, what’s the word on Wordle? Why is everyone going crazy about it? Here is an explainer on the latest hit in internet pop culture.
The Word on Wordle
Love Is the Answer
No. Not like that. The origin story of the word game Wordle is based on love. It is a guessing game that Josh Wardle, an Engineer at Reddit, created for his partner in 2021. At first, it was intended just for his partner who was into word games.
However, after introducing it to a couple of other family members, it caught on. Now, the game has been made available to anyone in the world who wants in. As per the latest reports, over 300,000 people are playing it every day.
How do you play it then?
One Game A Day
On the Wordle website, a player has six chances to guess a five-letter (secret) word. Everyone gets just one shot at the game, after which you have to wait till the next day for a new puzzle.
This is a breakdown of the steps in the game
- First, you guess a five-letter word.
- The game then tells you which of the letters in your word are correct and whether that’s their correct position in the secret word.
- Letters that are not in the secret word turn grey
- If the letter is in the target secret word, but not in the right position, it turns yellow.
- If the letter is correct, and in the right spot, the box turns green.
- You have 5 more tries unless you get it right the first time. (I don’t know how you would but, tell us if it happens.)
Wordle is a browser-based game available on this website. The results are easily shareable on social media, which makes it competitive. It explains the popularity too, I guess. There are apps that have come up using the name “Wordle”, but these are just imitations, so it is best to stick to the site.
Are there strategies to making the best guesses? Let us know after you have played.