WhatsApp has been one of the busiest firms out there with new features and updates rolling out one after another. However, with every update comes the price of the app having to let go of a few smartphone models that would be considered as old. This is why WhatsApp has now released a list of all the Android and iOS devices that will no longer support the app starting November 1.
These devices will be incompatible with the app and will no longer be able to support its current version. This is so that more efforts can be focused on the latest generation smartphones that can handle the newer features.
From the list, one can tell that it is simply devices with an operating system equal to or lower than Android 4.0.3. As for the iPhones, they will be devices with iOS 9 or older.
Here are the devices that will then be left without WhatsApp:
- Samsung: Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy SII, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Xcover 2, Galaxy Core and Galaxy Ace 2.
- LG: Lucid 2, Optimus F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus F5, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus L7 II, Optimus F6, Enact , Optimus L4 II Dual, Optimus F3, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L2 II, Optimus Nitro HD and 4X HD, and Optimus F3Q.
- ZTE: Grand S Flex, ZTE V956, Grand X Quad V987 and Grand Memo.
- Huawei: Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S, and Ascend D2.
- Sony: Xperia Miro, Sony Xperia Neo L, Xperia Arc S.
- Alcatel: One Touch Evo 7
- Others: Archos 53 Platinum, HTC Desire 500, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five, Wiko Darknight, Lenovo A820, UMi X2, Faea F1 and THL W8.
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 6S
- Apple iPhone 6S Plus
This does not mean that the app will stop working immediately. This will probably come as the messaging app rolls out more and more updates. And at the rate at which that is going on, you might just have to consider getting a new device right now.
You can easily restore your account and everything in it by backing the data now on Google Drive or iCloud on the older device. Just go to the menu then Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Backup.