Google! The most visited site in the world with over a billion views a day. It is a multinational technology company offering a wide variety of internet services and products. The company was started in 1998 by two Ph.D. students, Larry Page and Sergey Brin. They initially tried to sell their company but to no success. So they went live with an IPO in 2004. Well, we know that. Here’s what you didn’t know about Google.
Google Products and Services
Maybe we start with something simple. In case you didn’t know Google services, here they are.
- Google Hangouts
- Google Calendar
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Forms
- Google Slides
- Google Keeps
- Google Maps
- Google Sites
- Google Contacts
- Google Groups.
There’s a whole myriad of them but now let’s get to the juicy parts.
15 Things You Didn’t Know About Google
- Google’s first name was backrub: This was because their page used backlinks to analyze how important a page was and who else it relates to. This lasted fr only a year before they started brainstorming other ideas.
- The ‘I’m feeling lucky’ option cost Google $110 million per year. This is because the option bypassed ads which meant they were not getting revenue from the advertisers.
- Google has a private runway from NASA. They needed to land so many of their private planes. So in exchange for a runway, NASA can use the plane for testing their tech. They also pay $1.3 million per year for this runway.
- Google owns misspellings of its domain name: Gooogle, Gogle and Goolr
- Google rents goats to mow their lawns. Why? Because they are a green company and try to reduce their footprint.
- The heads of Google don’t like their name being in the dictionary
- There are over 2.3 million searches per second!
- Jeff Bezos, the Amazon founder, was one of the first investors of Google
- You can set your Google Language to Klingon!
- Yahoo declined to buy Google for 1 million dollars! Google is now worth over 300 billion dollars! Google then bought Youtube for 1.6 billion dollars and it is now worth 150 billion dollars!
Shocked? I know I am. What was your favourite Did You Know?
** Bonus here, type in Pacman on the search bar, hit enter and click play. Thank me later!