Is Your phone freezing? If you are here, it means your phone is probably taking too much time to load or your screen suddenly turns white. There are several reasons why your phone could be freezing. Most often than not, a slow processor, insufficient (RAM) memory or lack of storage space could be the main culprit. Alternatively, specific apps or software could be the cause and a simple software upgrade could solve it. Other times, step-by-step troubleshooting could be your gateway to freedom.
Below are a few steps that can help resolve the issue.
What to do when your Phone is Freezing
Close All Apps: (Improve processing memory)
- When too many apps run in the background, they strain the RAM or other system resources, which can lead to system exceptions. It is recommended that you run fewer apps at the same time.
- Additionally, third-party apps that are incompatible with your device, may lead to the device crashing or freezing, a white screen appearing, or abnormal restarting. It is recommended that you download the latest versions of all applicable apps from Appstore, AppGallery or Playstore.
- If the problem persists search for Apps in Settings to uninstall the recently installed apps or apps consuming large storage.
Check the available storage on the device (Improve storage memory)
- The overall system performance deteriorates when your phone’s storage gets to less than 10%. Go to Settings> Storage to check storage usage and optimize it when you feel necessary. It is recommended that you reserve at least 20% of storage space always when using your phone.
- Alternatively, you can go to your gallery and clear unwanted media from folders like WhatsApp, screenshots, downloads or recorded videos. Also, go to>Files>Local storage> peruse folder by folder deleting what you might find unnecessary.
Force restarts the device
It is recommended that you forcibly restart your device. Follow the following steps to restart:
Power Your Device On and Off
To power off your device, press and hold the Power button for a few seconds, touch Power off and Touch to power off. Similarly, to power on your device, press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until your device vibrates and displays the logo. (This may differ in certain phones)
Restart Your Device
Restart your device regularly to clear the cache and keep the device in an optimal state. A restart can sometimes resolve the issue when your device encounters a problem. Just press and hold the Power button for a few seconds, then touch Restart and Touch to restart.
Force Restart Your Device
You can force restart your device if it isn’t working or won’t turn off normally. To do this, just press and hold the Power and Volume buttons (volume up button or volume down button) simultaneously for 10 seconds or longer.
Update your phone software
Maybe the software of your phone is outdated and needs an upgrade. It is, therefore, recommended that you update your software.
- Before updating, make sure that your device is running an official system version. Otherwise, the update may fail and your device may experience some issues.
- Back up your user data before the update.
- After an update, third-party apps that aren’t compatible with the new system version may become unavailable. In such cases, it may take some time for a compatible app version to be released.
- During the update, do not power off or restart your device, remove the memory card, or insert a memory card.
- Go to Settings > System & updates, and touch Software update.
- When an update is available, you can either manually download and install the update package, or choose for your device to be updated automatically overnight.
- Download and install the update package: Go to New version > Download & install. To avoid data usage, connect your device to a Wi-Fi network when downloading the update package.
Your device will automatically restart once the update is complete. Update overnight: Enable Auto-download over Wi-Fi and Update overnight.
Important to note: When the ambient temperature is too low or high, it causes your device to automatically power off and display a blank screen. In this case, wait until the device temperature returns to the normal range before using it again. It is recommended that you keep your device in cool environments such that the ambient temperature ranges from 0°C to 35°C.
If the issue persists: If the issue remains unresolved, take your device and proof of purchase to your authorised smartphone Customer Service Centre for assistance. You should avoid opening the phone or clicking any unknown links to prevent your device from being infected with viruses.