In a world where streaming services are expanding, many people need a bridge between their non-smart TVs and the content they want to stream. Google Chromecast provides a convenient way to cast audio and video from your preferred device to your TV. Different from other streaming devices such as Amazon Fire Stick, it’s a plug-and-play HDMI device.
If you have just bought a Chromecast and aren’t sure how to get it up and running, here’s how to set up your Google Chromecast.
Connect Google Chromecast on your TV
- Plug your Chromecast to your TV via the HDMI port.
- For the power source, connect the power adapter to the power outlet.
- Connect the micro-USB cable from the power brick to a Chromecast.
- Turn on your TV and switch to the HDMI input where you’re connected to the Chromecast.
- Follow the instructions on how to turn the white light on the remote.
- Use the remote to highlight and choose your language.
- Choose the same Wi-Fi network your phone is connected to and enter the Wi-Fi password.
Set Up Chromecast with Google Home
- Download the Google Home app on your Android or iOS device.
- Open the Google Home app and tap Set up Chromecast on the top left of the screen.
- If you haven’t created a home, tap Create Home. If you have an existing home, choose it.
- The Google Home app will search for Chromecast.
- When found, tap Next at the bottom right of the screen.
- Click Accept to accept the Terms of Service and click Agree to the Google Device Arbitration Agreement.
- If you have an existing Google Home set up, choose the room where the Chromecast is located. Otherwise, choose Create New and type in the name of the room.
- Scan the QR Code on the TV screen with your smartphone.
- Name your Chromecast.
- Once connected, sign in to your Google account.
- Set up your Google Service Data preferences.
- Read through the Google Assistant commands.
- Enable Universal Search by tapping Allow.
Finish Setting Up Chromecast on Your TV
To set up the Chromecast remote to control your TV:
- Click on Set up remote.
- Choose to connect to the TV.
- Choose the brand of your TV.
- Turn the volume up and down on the remote’s side volume buttons. Confirm that it is working.
- Press the power button on your remote. If the TV turns off, wait 8 seconds and press the power button again to turn it on.
- You will receive a message on-screen that your Google TV remote is set up. Click Next.